Wednesday, December 17, 2014

CLEAN SWEEP! And 10m contest Wrap-Up

I am sorry I have neglected to update this in so long, but I have came back with some important news. I have worked the November Sweepstakes SSB last weekend and with the help of Phil Cox (KC5AMQ), we have earned our first clean sweep! A clean sweep is when a contesting station works every section allotable for that contest, in this case, all ARRL and RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada) Sections. Through the thick and thin, freezing cold and snowstorms at the Jefferson County Amateur Radio Club Facility (KC2ELX), Phil and I did our hardest efforts to provide the clean sweep, as I did many of the more common sections such as Maryland-DC, North Florida, and Santa Clara Valley for examples; Phil worked out the diamonds in the rough such as Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut of Canada, Canadian Maritime (Which consists of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island), and Quebec. We totaled out with 318 QSOs and a final score of 52788. We also helped K7SS (Dan Eskenazi) obtain his clean sweep by providing him with our NNY section exchange that he desperately needed!

Aside from that, Phil and I did a good run on the CW sweepstakes two weeks ago, only missing the sections of Vermont, Northern Territories, Alberta, and our own section; Northern New York. We finished the CW Sweeps with a score of 35708 with 227 QSOs.

To break the monotony here are some nicknames for the ARRL and RAC Sections I (and others) came up with

GTA(Greater Toronto Area): Grand Theft Auto
NFL(Northern Florida): National Football League
SFL(Southern Florida): Soviet Football League (Created by Phil)
SB(Santa Barbara): Spongebob
MT(Montana): Mike Tango's (Ironically, those are the phonetics for Montana)
EWA(Eastern Washington): Empty part of Washington
SDG(San Diego): Super Dog
EPA(Eastern Pennsylvania): Environmental Protection Agency
NM(New Mexico): Nothing Much
NLI(NYC/Long Island): Nearly Limited and Impossible
NNY(North New York): Nothing part of New York (There were 6 Operators in this section counting myself and Phil working as a team)

My award for most original Callsign has to go to WA5ZUP (John Elsik of New Mexico who was his ACTUAL first callsign and not a vanity like mine!) WAZZZUP and thanks for the QSO WA5ZUP!


The next ARRL Contest on the docket (and last I will compete in of 2014) is the 10 meter contest, which was on the Weekend of December 13th. I used a homebrew 10m dipole and got 52 QSLs on it.... Only problem I have with it is I am not a major fan of 10m... Call me crazy but I am not a fan of that band... I do not like how it is dependent of the solar cycle and the time of day, and the need of a mulch-element beam to make good contacts on it. Until next time this is N2ASD signing you clear

No comments:

Post a Comment